Join Amanda M. Leftwich and LibParlor for a #mindfulinlis & #libparlor Twitter chat!
When: Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Time: 8:30 pm ET/7:30 pm CT/6:30 pm MT/5:30 pm PT
Q1. What are some mindful practices that could assist library workers while they are planning, conducting, and sharing research?
Q2. How can these practices assist in creating communities of practice? OR How could these practices assist with dismantling unmindful systems?
Q3. What are some practical tips you have for dealing with burnout and stress in LIS?
Q4. What other advice can you share for someone starting a mindful research practice?
- Michelle Reale. Becoming a Reflective Librarian and Teacher: Strategies for Mindful Academic Practice. 2017. ALA Editions.
- Kristin Mastel and Genevieve Innes. “Insights and Practical Tips on Practicing Mindful Librarianship to Manage Stress.” Libres: Library and Information Science Research E-journal 23, no. 1 (March 2013). Available at http://www.libres-ejournal.info/372/.
- Melanie Greenberg. The Stress-Proof Brain: Master your emotional response to stress using mindfulness and neuroplasticity. 2017. New Harbinger Publications.
- Kaetrena Davis Kendrick. “The low morale experience of academic librarians: A phenomenological study.” Journal of Library Administration 57, no. 8 (2017): 846-878.
- Thich Nhat Hanh (2016). The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation. United States: Beacon Press.
- Beverage, S., DeLong, K., Herold, I. M., & Neufeld, K. (2014). Mindful leadership defined and explained. In Advances in Librarianship (pp. 21-35). Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Charney, Madeleine, Jenny Colvin, and Richard Moniz. (2019). Recipes for mindfulness in your library: supporting resilience and community engagement.
Amanda M. Leftwich (@thelibmaven @mindfulinlis) is currently the Online Learning Librarian & Faculty Diversity Fellow at Montgomery County Community College. Leftwich has a Master of Science in Library Science from Clarion University of Pennsylvania. Her work focuses on utilizing mindfulness and self-care to help LIS professionals navigate microaggressions and find community within the library profession. She is the founder of mindfulinlis virtual communities on Instagram and Twitter dedicated to mindfulness in librarianship.
Featured image by Lesly Juarez on Unsplash
0 comments on “Developing a mindful research practice: A #mindfulinlis and #libparlor mashup chat”